Sunday, September 16, 2007

New (to me anyway) trick for back labor and/or pain

I learned a new trick yesterday that I thought I would share...

When someone is having back pain or back labor try this...

Have them lie down flat with their knees bent. Push on their knees just below the kneecap. The midwife I worked with yesterday tried on me and on a patient. I thought it felt great (I have a lot of arthritis for a youngin' - autoimmune junk). The patient, who was having back labor, also said it helped during the contractions. Neat!

5 comments:

Midlife Midwife said...

works good when they are sitting up too.

Student Nurse Midwife said...

Yay for counter pressure.

Yeah -- Emory has lots of mannequins/simulators/models/etc. But we still practice on one another. A lot. I guess I will get used to it...eventually?

There's just so much about nursing school that no one tells you!

I'm like where did I sign up to be topless?

Ciarin said...

Cool - I'll try that as well Midlife Midwife.

Emory Student Midwife - I'm sorry that your program is having you do that. And you're paying them to be topless!!!!!

k.thedoula said...

I was taught to get mama in to a solid chair, scoot her bum all the way back and push on the knees, while someone makes sure the chair won't move...
So there we go... another thought from a doula...
*Worked phenomenally on my friend with the posterior babe... before labour!
K
~the only one who isn't a midwifery student... sigh... next lifetime!

Anonymous said...

My doula did this for me when I was laboring with Pitocin, I was sitting in a chair and it worked really well.