Monday, August 13, 2007

Nursing students

I love adult learners. I hate pseudo-college-students-who-still-believe-they-are-in-high-school.

I teach nursing students at an associate degree level...meaning they have an associate degree and can take the NCLEX to become a Registered Nurse when they are done with the program. Now, please remember that I ultimately really like my job (even though I would much rather be working as a midwife!).

Adult learners = students who have obtained the maturity, either through age or through having been a student previously (such as getting a degree in biology, etc). to realize that learning is their responsibility.

Pseudo-college-students...= students who think faculty should spoon feed everything to them, that everything in the program should be changed to accomodate them, we are all so unfair, it's too hard, etc.

Nursing school = If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, do you really want the person responsible for making sure you don't die to go to an easy school?

Please don't get me wrong, I love teaching. But they can drive me insane some days. I wish I could make a deal with them...you be responsible, I'll make it interesting!

You can tell it's the end of the semester...I'm burned out and so are they.

2 comments:

AtYourCervix said...

I was an adult learner/student when I went to college for my associate's degree in nursing. I totally agree with you on your adult student vs pseudo student.

I hope you at least get to teach OB?

My OB nursing prof in college was a former hippie who used to teach childbirth classes in the basement of her house. I loved her! She still teaches too, and I see her now and then with the nursing students on my unit. It's like old times, seeing her again.

Ciarin said...

This upcoming semester I get to do OB and peds...I'm looking forward to it!!