Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tales from the Office

I have a personal patient who I can't wait to catch her baby. But I am worried she'll end up delivering at home. She's a grand multip (has had more than 5 babies) with a history of fast labors. Her longest labor was 4 hours. The last couple kids have been after 1 or 2 hours. She had been feeling a little crampy so I checked her...nothing much going on. But she's making me nervous cuz the last one other time I had this patient scenario, the patient delivered at home because it went so fast. I also was worried that even if she makes it to the hospital, I won't get there in time. So I gave her my cell phone number and told her not to stalk me, just call when she goes to the hospital so I can head in to. I'm hoping she won't go into labor while I am on vacation. She's not due until after the new year.

I have another personal patient (multip) who is now past her due date. Don't really want to induce her. We are still waiting for spontaneous labor. We have a week to go until we have to talk induction (42 weeks). At least that will be right before I go on vacation. I promised my husband and children I wouldn't work on vacation. But truth be told...I probably would if any of these personal patients come in. I just don't want to miss their births.

I have another one, a primip who is also term...about 40weeks. I've been stripping her membranes the past two weeks in the hopes that she'll have her baby before I go on vacation. How did I end up with so many personal patients all due around the same time?????

I am inducing another personal patient due to blood pressure issues. She's a multip with a favorable cervix so I am hoping all goes smoothly and quickly with her. I have such a blast with her and her husband. And her daughter is such a charmer...love seeing her!

Favorite complaint - I feel like I have a bladder infection and I drink plenty of water. Comes along with a urine sample that has small ketones and nothing else. "You feel this way because you don't drink enough water." She says "But I do". I look pointedly at her McDonalds cup and ask what's in that cup? It's obviously orange whatever it is. Busted.

I did a new OB appointment with a couple from the Middle East. They have been here for 3 months. They were adorable! She was so worried because she had a miscarriage at 4 weeks the first time and is Rh negative. She didn't get Rhogam afterwards. So now she's scared for this pregnancy. Someone (family doctor I guess) has scared the crap out of her. I explain, via the translator, that she was too early for there to be any concern. I reassure her and have them both smiling and happy by the end of the visit.

No comments: