Sunday, July 29, 2007

Midwifery school

Midwifery school was interesting. I think Frontier is an awesome school. I would definitely recommend it. They have changed their format though - before it was very much do-it-at-your-own pace. Now they have terms and cohort classes which I don't really like. But the school otherwise is great.

School was hard. By the end of it my husband and I were in marriage counseling. It wasn't just the school thing. There were other issues that contributed to a breakdown in our communication. Never fear, we are back on track :) But I think it's really hard for anyone to understand what it is to be a nurse, a midwife, a doctor unless they have been in that role. I don't think my husband and I had any idea what kind of commitment it was gonna be. I mean, you know it's going to be hard - it's graduate school! But you can't get it until you are there. I just recently cleaned out all the articles and paperwork that accumulated over the two year program. I sorted out the stuff I wanted to hang on to and the rest went in the recycle bin. I am having a major guilt complex over the forest of trees I killed! I ended up keeping enough journal articles that I could wallpaper this 3000 sq. ft house I live in.

BTW, all you midwifery students...the AMCB exam is easier than the comprehensive exam I had to take to graduate. I left from taking comps, feeling really really dumb.

No comments: